Pages

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Pineapple Upside-down Cake

When the new year started, I planned the usual:  lose weight, develop better exercise habits, eat my veggies.  I also planned to post healthy recipes so you all could do the same.  But my gosh, who am I trying to fool?!  I love dessert!  Best!  And I do hereby declare, that until I'm either: 1) diagnosed diabetic, or 2) morbidly obese, I'm not going to stop making delicious treats for my friends and family and of course, me. 

A couple of years ago, some friends brought a Pineapple Upside Down Cake to my dinner party.  I had never had this particular dessert before, and it looked so thin and simple.  Oh, but when I tasted it, it did that thing to me.  That "I need a moment...BECAUSE I'M IN ANOTHER DIMENSION" thing.  They then explained to me how their neighbor developed her special way of making it and I listened as if my life depended on it.  Then I didn't make it for about 2 years. Typical for me because when something is as incredible as this cake is, I don't make it because I will eat it.  ALL of it, while the family is at school and work. Then they'll get mad cuz it's all gone and I'll get mad cuz I'm gonna gain weight and then everyone's unhappy!

Anyway, a few months ago when I finally decided to make it, I really had to reach back in my memory.  I did manage to remember bits and pieces of the recipe.  I've added a few things to it, and also made it a layer cake, so it now looks almost as grand as it tastes.  Here is what I've come up with.  Please try it, it's a winner.


Kim's Pineapple Upside-down Cake

1 stick butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 large can crushed pineapple, drained, juices reserved
4 oz. cream cheese, softened to room temperature
1 yellow cake mix*
Juice from the can of pineapple + enough water to make 1 1/4 cups*
2 eggs
1/3 cup canola oil


Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and spray 2 round cake pans with non-stick cooking spray.  Stir the butter and brown sugar together in a small saucepan over medium heat for a couple of minutes, until the sugar is mostly dissolved.  Pour evenly between the two prepared pans, then arrange the drained pineapple evenly over the brown sugar sauce.

Beat the softened cream cheese until smooth.  Add the eggs and beat until combined, scraping the sides down a couple of times during the process.  Add the oil and reserved juice and water mixture, then the cake mix.  Beat until smooth.

Pour the cake batter over the sauce and pineapple, dividing evenly between the pans.  Place the pans in the bottom third of your oven and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Invert onto cake plate while still warm.  Just loosen the edges of the cake with a knife, then place the plate on top and quickly flip!  The second layer gets flipped on top of the first, which is a little more tricky.  Just flip the cake out onto your palm, then place it on the other cake.  This cake is just amazing as is, but you could dress it up by putting a little whipped cream on top of each serving.  As a bonus, your house will smell awesome, too.

Note:  For a less fancy version, you can make the whole cake in a 9 x 13 cake pan.  Just follow the same directions.  The cooking time may increase a little, so test it for doneness at 30 minutes and add however more minutes you need.  No need to flip the whole cake out.  Just let it cool and flip each serving as you take it out.  You can also make the cakes in the round pans and just serve one cake at a time, cut in wedges.

*I used Betty Crocker Yellow Cake Mix, which calls for 1 1/4 cups water.  Other cake mixes may vary, so look on the box.  Use the drained pineapple juice and enough water to equal whatever amount the directions on the box call for.  Then proceed with my recipe.

This cake is moist and addicting!

No comments:

Post a Comment