Pages

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Great Kitchen Tools

If you're anything like me, most advertisements don't mean much to you anymore.  Alot of them grossly exaggerate the product's capabilities, and some just flat out lie.  There are a few products that I've purchased lately, however, that exceeded my expectations and actually made my life easier in the kitchen.  I'm posting my endorsements here, and I encourage you to post yours in the comment section below.  We can save each other money and hassle if we share our knowledge of what actually works.  So here are the kitchen products I'm currently in love with!




Progressive International 6-Piece Grater Set

This is a really great inexpensive grater/slicer.  I bought mine at Wal-Mart for $12.00.  It has 4 different inserts, and it's dishwasher safe which is wonderful.  If you don't have a dishwasher, keep a toothbrush in the kitchen-it really helps get cheese off of graters, and out of all the little cracks around the kitchen that collect crud.  $11.95 at amazon.com:
 http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-International-6-Piece-Grater-Set/dp/B000EH0F2W%3FSubscriptionId%3D14H876SFAKFS0EHBYQ02%26tag%3Dhubpag09eb-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB000EH0F2W
 

Farberware Bamboo Cutting Board, 15" x 21"

I've had this cutting board for about a year or so now and it's holding up better than any other one I've ever had, and I use it almost every day.  It's too big to put in the dishwasher, but it cleans up really easily.  Just scrub it with anti-bacterial dish soap, and spray it with kitchen safe anti-bacterial spray after you've cut meat on it, and periodically if you just chop veggies on it.  I use the slotted side to cut veggies and meat, and the other side for fruit, because garlic and onion oils can really soak into the wood, no matter how much you clean it.  $22.97 at walmart.com:  http://www.walmart.com/ip/Farberware-Bamboo-Cutting-Board-15-x-21/5723674

Hamilton Beach 6-Quart Stay or Go Slow Cooker

This turned out to be more than an ordinary slow cooker.  The rubber gasket around the lid is there to create a seal when you engage the clamps so you can take it in the car without spills, but I found that when you cook something in it, even though the clamps are not engaged, the gasket seems to make a slight seal and create a pressure cooker of sorts.  Meats tenderize wonderfully.  $32.00 at walmart.com:  http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hamilton-Beach-6-Quart-Stay-or-Go-Slow-Cooker-33162/4012120

KitchenAid Classic White 4.5 Qt Stand Mixer

I've had my stand mixer for years, and I love it.  The basic set comes with paddle, whisk, and dough hook attachments.  Put the dough hook on and you don't even have to knead bread-it does it for you.  Mixing up cookies,  beating cake batter, fluffing meringues, whipping cream-I can't imagine baking without it.  $199.88 at walmart.com:  http://www.walmart.com/ip/Kitchenaid-4.5-Mixer-White/3215




MainStays 16" Pizza Pan

I bought this pizza pan for $5.00 at Wal-Mart, and just used it for the first time tonight.  I made a homemade pizza on it using frozen bread dough for the crust.  It was amazing-the dough stuck to the pan just enough for me to spread it out, then after the pizza was baked, it slid right off, and clean up was a breeze!  Great bargain!   http://www.walmart.com/ip/MainStays-16-Pizza-Pan/14913179

                       OXO Y Peeler
OXO is the brand name and "Y" is for the shape of the peeler.  This is one of my favorite kitchen tools because I had always had those cheap metal peelers that didn't work worth a darn.  Once I tried this one, though, I wanted to peel everything with it!  I actually sort of enjoy peeling potatoes now.  (Maybe I should get a life.)  I love this tool so much that I got my Mom one for Christmas! 

                   Olde Thomson Peppermill


I've had my peppermill for years (far left).  The clear acrylic window lets you see when you're getting low on peppercorns.  I use Tri-color Peppercorns-they tend to be milder than using just black.  The bottles in the picture contain olive oil on the left, and canola oil on the right  (Pier One Imports).  The glass container on the far right contains kosher salt.  I just pour it into my palm and then sprinkle it over the food.  It works great! 

Peppermill $14.00:

                       Swiffer Wet Jet
This was by far the best $20.00 I ever spent at Walmart.  Yes, you have to buy replacement pads and cleaning solution, but IT'S WORTH IT.  You'll have your kitchen floor cleaned and disinfected in minutes.  Truly a great invention-get one of these.  Now.  No, really-go!
 $19.97 at walmart.com:
         Soap Dispensing Scrub Brush
I got this little gem at Wal-Mart in the cleaning aisle.  I'm not sure what company makes this one, and I haven't been able to find the exact one again, but I found a similar one by OXO and bought it for my Mom (another Christmas gift).  I have one of these scrubbers for dishes, and another for household cleaning.  They work great for everything-get one or two and thank me later.
OXO $6.91 at Amazon.com:

Member's Mark Hard Anodized Cookware Set: 13 peices

My husband bought me this set for Christmas 2009 at Sam's Club.  I'm not sure how much he paid then, but Amazon.com has the list price at $250.00.  Amazon is selling it now for $189.97.  It's a great set-I've used it alot this past year and the teflon still looks brand new.  I don't put any of my teflon in the dishwasher and I think it really increases the life of the product.  These pots and pans are really heavy, but I love them.  $189.97 at Amazon.com:


No comments:

Post a Comment